Spectrum Telecom Installation Ltd has successfully completed the design, construction, rigging, commissioning, and testing of a 30m monopole and all associated telecoms equipment on an Eir Exchange site for long term client Eir Mobile. The Infrastructure and antenna installation was implemented in a blackspot area, which can also be used for other networks in the area, improving coverage and internet in order to connect communities in the locality.
Spectrum were engaged as both the designer and main contractor for the civil engineering, rigging, and commissioning scope. The full project covered:
- Planning applications and road closure permits
- Groundworks and civils design
- Civils installation
- Craneage for monopole installation
- Traffic permits and traffic management
Spectrum supplied all labour, plant, materials, traffic management – project managing all aspects of the build from greenfield to completion.
This was a challenging site, with restrictions from overhead power cables and phone cables, for the monopole installation. Road closures permits from the local council were arranged to enable power lines to be temporarily dropped and removed and phone cables, dropped and removed for monopole install.
- Site clearance
- Installation of 5.2×5.2×1.25m reinforced concrete monopole base including holding down assemblies
- Fibre ducting to existing Fibre Chamber in Eir Exchange
- Power ducting to existing Esb pole
- Earthing system to concrete base
- Installation of outdoor metre cabinet
- Installation of a 30m monopole
Challenges and Solutions
Access Planning and Coordination
The project was very space constrained. To implement the smooth running of this project, Spectrum Telecom meticulously prepared a detailed plan and programme of works and supplied appropriate levels of project management and site supervision to ensure the project was delivered to the client’s satisfaction.
Stakeholder Liaison and planning for the installation of the monopole in a safe manner was very important. Both Esb and Eir crews were arranged on the day of the monopole erection to ensure that the crane could be set up to install the monopole safely.
Aclare Eir Exchange is in a remote area , so logistics were challenging. The installation of a 30m monopole on this site involved coordination and careful planning with the local County Council to provide a road closure permit. The proximity of both ESB power and telephone cables, requirement of a crane company and a traffic management installation all required careful integration. Spectrum fully coordinated all aspects, managing its multi-disciplinary crews supply chain partners and outside parties simultaneously. The installation on the day was exemplary, with the monopole assembled, installed, and certified to climb in one 8-hour shift.
- The experience of our designers, planners, and crews to deliver a fully integrated and managed right first-time build solution
- Spectrum’s ability to incorporate its in house multi-disciplinary teams, alongside supply chain partners and outside party stakeholders effectively
- Safe project handover and a high-quality installation without delay